[CentOS] was, Re: Cent OS 6 freezing up, is flash danger

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Aug 26 19:03:56 UTC 2011

On Friday, August 26, 2011 02:54:11 PM m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> As the guy in the original story asked, why would you want to embed a
> flash video in a freakin' spreadsheet?

Intriguing.

As to why, well, probably for the same or similar reasons as you'd embed into a powerpoint presentation.  I can see some utility in video cells in a spreadsheet for certain things.  I know, it's alien to the 'unix way' that we all know and love, but businesses like to have packaged 'things' that just have everything you need in them.  Embedded app data inside other apps files is a seriously common technique in business; and it's fairly old tech, at least dating to OLE way back when.  Once to can embed a generic OLE object, there will be a user out there that starts thinking up wierd and wonderful ways of presenting data with such embedding.

Instead of a 'notes' cell documenting the reason for, say, a manufacturing line failure or success you could have a video documenting same, and all within the spreadsheet.  Yeah, I wouldn't do that, but I know businesspeople who would in a heartbeat.