[CentOS] CentOS 6.0

Timo Neuvonen timo-news at tee-en.net
Sun Aug 28 18:08:11 UTC 2011

>> > Can anyone pls tell me if a ThinkServer TS130 with a E3-1225 Xeon
>> > processor is compatible with CentOS 6.0? I would like to
>> upgrade from
>> > 5.6 but my hardware will not allow me to do so.
>>
>> Intel
>> Quad-core
>> 3.10 GHz
>> L2 Cache 1 MB
>> L3 Cache 6 MB
>> 64-bit Processing
>>       * Turbo Boost Technology
>>       * Virtualization Technology
>>       * Trusted Execution Technology
>>       * Extended Memory 64 Technology
>> Platform: PC
>>
>> Seems OK, what specific problems are you having ?
>
> Sorry, I meant the hardware I have now is preventing me from upgrading to
> 6.0
>
> I just want to make sure CentOS 6.0 would have the necessary drivers for
> the
> on board video, ethernet, etc., for the TS130 before I make the purchase.

Not absolutely sure about this, but I think E3-series is very close to 2nd
generation i3/i5/i7.

A while ago I installed CentOS 6.0 to Acer 7550 laptop that uses integrated
Intel HD Graphics of i5 CPU.
All I got with 6.0 kernels was vesa 1024x768 resolution. I found out 6.1
shoud fix this. Since CentOS 6.1 wasn't out then, I installed kernel from
Scientific Linux 6.1 (another RHEL clone) and theafter I got very nice
graphics -and high-resolution console also in runlevel 3 to my CentOS 6
laptop.

So, I would say 6.0 doesn't support Intel graphics of that CPU, but 6.1
should do it. Don't know about network etc, but at least it fixes the
graphics -I guess that server uses integrated graphics since they've chosen
a CPU that has it.

--
TiN