[CentOS] 6.0 Media problems

Always Learning centos at u61.u22.net
Mon Aug 29 01:17:12 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 21:06 -0400, ken wrote:

> When I downloaded the iso for 6.0 install, K3b said the iso wouldn't fit
> on the blank DVD.

I remember reading that there are two main DVD formats + and -. One has
(more?) error correction than the other and therefore everything may not
fit on that type of DVD.  Centos 5.6 for X64 requires 2 DVDs.

Which version did you download ?

> So I downloaded and burned the LiveDVD.  When I boot it, I get the blue
> splash screen (it says "CentOS... Community Enterprise OS on the bottom,
> logo to the right), but nothing else comes up.  Hitting various keys
> does nothing.

Are you able to do a read integrity test of any of the DVDs ?

> Downloaded and burned the Netinstall CD.  It gives an error message that
> it can't install because the machine's CPU doesn't have pae.

Recently someone wrote that PAE related to i386 but was not required for
x64. What CPU type is your target machine ?

> So is it the end of CentOS/RH for this machine?  (I can't believe that.
>  One of the great things about Linux has always been that it'll run on
> old hardware.)  Or are these fixable problems?  Or are there workarounds?

That used to be true but it is inevitable as 'modern' distributions get
more capable not all current distributions cater for older spec.
equipment. I hear there are other, non-Centos, distributions that do
cater for less technically advanced machines.

I'm waiting for Centos 6.1 before I try version 6.

> Or should I go for a different distribution?

Have you tried Scientific Linux ? It is another Red Hat clone closely(?)
related to Centos.

Paul.