[CentOS] [C6] Some typical apps missing?

Marko Vojinovic

vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 12:56:35 UTC 2011

Hi everyone! :-)

I just installed CentOS 6 on one of my desktop machines, and yum now
tells me that some of my favorite apps are not present in any of the
repositories I configured. To name a few: ktorrent, kile, krusader,
pavucontrol, mplayerplug-in (or is it now gecko-mediaplayer), xine,
xmms, and so on... All these apps were readily available for C5, and I
used them happily.

I am mostly surprised with the absence of *any* torrent client, bar
the rtorrent (which doesn't have a man page and I have no idea how to
use it). Also kile, krusader and pavucontrol are quite basic and
common apps...

The configured repositories are: base, updates, extras, rpmforge,
elrepo, as reported by yum.

What am I missing?

I would also be grateful if anyone has a suggestion for a reasonable
(and available) substitute for any of these apps. I usually prefer
KDE4 apps, but will use anything that works. I found some (rtorrent,
mozilla-vlc, gnome-volume-control), but I am not exactly thrilled with
their quality, so I'm hoping someone has a better suggestion. Google
didn't want to be my friend this time, all hits were related to C5...
;-)

TIA, :-)
Marko