[CentOS] [C6] Some typical apps missing?

wwp subscript at free.fr
Tue Aug 30 13:30:21 UTC 2011

Hello Marko,

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:56:35 +0200 Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone! :-)
>
> I just installed CentOS 6 on one of my desktop machines, and yum now
> tells me that some of my favorite apps are not present in any of the
> repositories I configured. To name a few: ktorrent, kile, krusader,
> pavucontrol, mplayerplug-in (or is it now gecko-mediaplayer), xine,
> xmms, and so on... All these apps were readily available for C5, and I
> used them happily.
>
> I am mostly surprised with the absence of *any* torrent client, bar
> the rtorrent (which doesn't have a man page and I have no idea how to
> use it). Also kile, krusader and pavucontrol are quite basic and
> common apps...
>
> The configured repositories are: base, updates, extras, rpmforge,
> elrepo, as reported by yum.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> I would also be grateful if anyone has a suggestion for a reasonable
> (and available) substitute for any of these apps. I usually prefer
> KDE4 apps, but will use anything that works. I found some (rtorrent,
> mozilla-vlc, gnome-volume-control), but I am not exactly thrilled with
> their quality, so I'm hoping someone has a better suggestion. Google
> didn't want to be my friend this time, all hits were related to C5...
> ;-)

As audacious is crashing at startup here, I've got back to xmms, found here:
  http://puias.math.ias.edu/wiki/YumRepositories6
(apparently it's down, I guess it's temporary).

For torrents, I installed transmission from the sources.

I didn't succeed in making firefox to make use of mplayer, apparently
it uses totem, more or less efficiently.

For the sake of the archives, gnome-volume-control comes w/ the
gnome-media package.

You might need to check at atrpms repo for other software.

Regards,

--
wwp