[CentOS] 6.0 Media problems

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Aug 30 14:10:01 UTC 2011

hi Ken,

On 08/30/2011 03:04 PM, ken wrote:
> <http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=15>  would be one
> place.  But, given the way search engines might index pages, people
> could bypass that page and land directly on the mirrors page,
> <http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13>, and so miss
> the warning altogether.

How about a Readme file ( please propose something ) that would go into
the ISOS directory on all machines ? eg:
http://centos.mirror.netelligent.ca/centos/6/isos/x86_64/

that might be a good place to have a url pointing at the release notes,
perhaps a few workds on what the sha sums are and how people can verify
them, and the various media formats ( livecd, dvd, cd, netinstall,
torrents ).

If you want to put something together, we could add that in right away.
And I'll add a note to the release process to make sure its updated,
maintained into the future releases.

> In addition, if it happens, per your other email in this thread, that
> it's possible to offer another CentOS distribution which doesn't require
> PAE, then we'd need a distinguishing name for those ISOs.

right, that would be a bit of a journey down the road. Step 1 would be
to find a solution to the PAE-needed issue, then make sure there is some
mechanism in place ( manual or otherwise ) to carry that work forward
into the updates, finally come up with a delivery ( install ) mechanism.
It should just be a case of an alternative installer with the
works-with-pae-absent kernel.

- KB