[CentOS] Question re: CentOS-6.0, KVM, and /dev/sr0

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Aug 30 14:48:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, August 29, 2011 10:46, James B. Byrne wrote:

> Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only
> file system).
>  /dev/sr0
> has been opened read-only.
> Error: /dev/sr0: unrecognised disk label

I discover that this is caused by a piece of OEM software
that is embedded in ROM in the LG DVD-RW drive that was
'formerly' installed on this system.  This device has been
replaced.

However, I am still concerned about what the rest of this
message means and its implications:

Warning: WARNING: the kernel failed to re-read the
partition table
on /dev/sda (Device or resource busy).  As a result, it
may not reflect all of your changes until after reboot.

I have tried using partprobe and /sbin/blockdev -rereadpt
/dev/sda and both report that the device /dev/sda/ is
busy.  Is this an artifact of using of SATA style disks or
has something changed between CentOS-5.6 and CentOS-6.0
that specifically relates to this problem?  On 5.6 I can
create new lvms, mount and use them without a reboot.  On
6.0 I cannot, for the moment at least, discover how this
is done.

Canada  L8E 3C3