[CentOS] Centos VPS Kernel 2.6.35.4 & 'string-less' IP tables

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.net.au
Wed Aug 31 03:02:21 UTC 2011

  On 08/31/2011 12:24 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> On a VPS I wanted to add to IP tables:-
>
> iptables -A XXXX -p tcp -m string --algo bm --string 'login' -j DROP
>
> I got:
>
> 	iptables: Unknown error 18446744073709551615
>
> uname -a =  2.6.35.4 #2  (don't know how this got installed)

I'm wagering that's not the full output of uname -a. As far as I'm
aware, centos have never shipped a 2.6.35 kernel with any release, and
that's the sort of error you get with a openVZ "stab" (or Stable)
kernel, where unless the host provides you with the modules, there's not
a lot you can do about it.

> <snip>
>
>   Appreciate suggestions on how to get kernel 2.6.35.4 to install the
> whole IP tables package, especially the STRING and RECENT options (in
> -m).

Perhaps you might want to talk to your hosting company about what
they're selling you, because it certainly isn't a 'pure' centos install.

Steve.