[CentOS] Centos VPS Kernel 2.6.35.4 & 'string-less' IP tables

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Aug 31 13:01:42 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:24:41 PM Always Learning wrote:
> On a VPS I wanted to add to IP tables:-
> iptables -A XXXX -p tcp -m string --algo bm --string 'login' -j DROP
> 	iptables: Unknown error 18446744073709551615

> uname -a =  2.6.35.4 #2  (don't know how this got installed)

This is not a CentOS-provided kernel; as has been said elsewhere in the thread, this is likely an OpenVZ kernel.  Your hosting provider will have to install the modules necessary to make this function.  If they either cannot or will not, then you can't use the options you want to use.  The CentOS repositories and lists are unable to help you with your hosting provider's kernel modules.

Further support may be found either from your provider or from an OpenVZ mailing list, but OpenVZ container (VPS) support is beyond the scope of this list because it is so different from 'real' CentOS.