[CentOS] Centos VPS Kernel 2.6.35.4 & 'string-less' IP tables

Always Learning centos at u61.u22.net
Wed Aug 31 15:15:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 08:07 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 08/31/11 7:22 AM, Always Learning wrote:
> > In the current 4,000 to 6,000 daily hits, the lunatic uses
> >
> > 	login.php
> > 	contact.php
> > 	forgotten_password.php
>
> your 'lunatic' aka 'hacker' is undoubtably a blind script ('bot')
> running on distributed previously hacked hosts, and probing a long long
> list of targets of which your hosts only a tiny part of.   4000 hits a
> day to 404 pages is background noise.

I would like to use the facilities in the excellent Centos operating
system to reduce hacking attacks. Implementing an IP Tables string
facility is a useful learning experience. When that works, I'll try
'recent'. Dangerous to ignore any background noise - far better to
firmly shut the door and fill-in all known holes.

Paul.