[CentOS] Centos VPS Kernel 2.6.35.4 & 'string-less' IP tables

Always Learning centos at u61.u22.net
Wed Aug 31 21:23:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 22:08 +0200, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 19:00 +0100, Always Learning wrote:

> Still useless: it is not the attacks that you know about and that show
> themselves as errors in your logs (and filter from the log, that is the
> only gain), but those where you have a real security hole that you have
> to worry about. And those will be exploited from one of the many other
> bots in the hackers botnet.

Geachte Louis,

Ik ben niet hek ook niet stom!

Ik weet het wel dat it is the undetected attacks that potentially can
cause most damage. Perhaps I know this better than most people because
when I first got a Centos VPS, and it was doing nothing, a partially
installed Horde provided a entry for some Romanians who used that server
as a IRC host.  It was careful reading of the logs which revealed the
successful break-in. I therefore highly recommend reading the various
logs because they may reveal unusual happenings.

> An empty log may give you a nice feeling of security, but it
> is false...
> A lot of work, but very little if any gain.

Onzin. An empty log never ever gives me a sense of security because the
first thing I am thinking is why is the log empty. Sensitive
applications have a self-generated log stored away from the conventional
logs and regularly perused.

My logic to is seal-off as many potential accesses as possible. Your
logic seems to be "do not bother because the successful attack will be
unexpected". Ik ben zeker niet eens met jouw. I certainly disagree with
that philosophy.

ADULT EDUCATION ADVERTISEMENT

The more one does in Centos investigating things and sealing-off IPs and
ports and experimenting with IP Tables etc., the more one learns about
the functioning of the Centos operating system. This acquired learning
evolves into skills and is beneficial. Its acquisition will encourage
people to understand more about their Centos installation(s) and make
them more aware of the various risks and the wonderful things Centos can
offer.

Hoogachtend of mvg,

Paul.