[CentOS] megaraid/PERC

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Dec 1 09:22:09 UTC 2011

On 11/29/2011 09:09 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> I wouldn't waste the time with MSM - I would simply use the BIOS
>> configuration for the RAID storage which can easily look at the drives for
>> RAID configuration and load it if it can find it.

If you haveto reboot to get to your storage, might as well have skipped
the entire process of investing in something that has management.

> I believe it's the same kind of controller, so that's ok. I'm using MSM
> for the above reasons, and that the cli isn't installed.

the MegaCli is a pain to use, its the craziest bit of software I've come
across in a long long time. However, it does work and is very reliable
in its feedback.

> anything that would let me investigate what the documentation seems to
> call a "foreign RAID".

it just means the disks have raid metadata on there which does not map
to an existing radiset on your machine. You should (1) mark the disk as
bad (2) clear the metadata on there (3) mark is good again (4) pull it
into an existing raidset. Make sure you check and adjust your rebuild
rates to match what is going on with the machine, these cards have it
set to 30% resource by default.

HTH

- KB