[CentOS] System Time - UTC and Local Time

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Dec 1 16:39:51 UTC 2011

On 12/01/2011 10:17 AM, Johan Martinez wrote:
> I have installed CentOS on a VM by checking 'System Clock uses UTC' option.
> Later I selected CST time zone. Now the date command shows UTC time with
> CST timezone:  "Thu Dec  1 04:14:39 CST 2011".  How do I change system
> clock to show CST local time? Also, more likely a dumb question but why
> isn't date command showing UTC here instead of CST?

you told it that the system clock is set to UTC ... it sets the time
based on that when it boots up.

But, your system clock is NOT really set to UTC, it is set to CST.  So
you lied :D

That means it is going to shift your CST value by the amount of hours
you are away from CST as a correction, since you told it that the
hardware clock is set to UTC.

What you need to do to fix it is edit "/etc/sysconfig/clock" and if
there is a UTC=true, change it to UTC=false.