[CentOS] How to make nodes in my local LAN see each other's names

Timothy Madden terminatorul at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 18:36:49 UTC 2011

On 02.12.2011 18:17, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday, December 02, 2011 11:06:51 AM Craig White wrote:
>> ummm... there are WINS master browser elections on every subnet ...
>
> 'Master browser election broadcasts' != 'broadcast-based name resolution.'
>
> I have measured significant broadcast traffic reduction when migrating from non-WINS to WINS SMB/CIFS name resolution.
>
> But this is straying quite far from the OP's question (he doesn't appear to be on a routed network, for one) and from the topic of the list.

To make a long story short, here's what I see by now:

WINS can work in both:
     - a decentralized, continuous-broadcast mode, that requires no
       configuration and is the default
     - a centralized, WINS-server based mode, that can minimize traffic
       down to the DNS values. This requires WINS/DHCP server
       configuration and can be used to have WINS work over routed
       networks, but still does not scale properly if the networks are
       too large.

DNS can work with:
     - only centralized, server-based configuration that requires
       some amount of configuration
     - no broadcasts or extra traffic whatsoever
     - can scale with no problem to any networks, routed or not, up to
       the entire internet.

It seems to me that they even complement each other (on the opposite ends).

It is worth mentioning that Samba also comes with some examples in wich
a WINS server can update a DNS server when a new machine registers on
un-registers with the server with WINS.