[CentOS] Missing sources in CentOS 6.0

Ryan R. Uber

ryan at blankbmx.com
Fri Dec 2 19:12:02 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

In the 6.0 release, I have found a gap in the provided source under the SRPMS/ directories on the mirrors.

Let's take the 'bash' source as the first example. The version of bash that I find in the binary x86_64 directories is:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos-6/6.0/os/x86_64/Packages/bash-4.1.2-3.el6.x86_64.rpm

One would expect to find the source to that binary at:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos-6/6.0/os/x86_64/Packages/bash-4.1.2-3.el6.src.rpm

However, it does not exist. I have looked on many mirrors, all with the same result, which leads me to believe that this is simply missing on all CentOS mirrors.

I have checked other distributions to see if the result is consistent, but Red Hat provides the SRPMS in their repository:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/bash-4.1.2-3.el6.src.rpm

As do other rebuild-distributions like Scientific Linux:
http://mirrors.200p-sf.sonic.net/scientific/6.0/SRPMS/vendor/bash-4.1.2-3.el6.src.rpm

I have noticed this same anomoly with the following packages:

bash
coreutils
iptables
libselinux
mod_auth_kerb
nss
redhat-logos

There may be others as well, but I have not checked the entire distribution.

Is this a mistake? Or is there a reason that these are left out? I searched the forums and found this thread, but it offers no real solution:
https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=143030&topic_id=33382

Also, there doesn't appear to be any source available for the CR repository. Is there any place I can find these? Or am I just supposed to fetch them from upstream?

- Ryan