[CentOS] How to make nodes in my local LAN see each other's names

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Dec 2 20:05:58 UTC 2011

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> I don't even understand what that means. Is there a mandate to do
>>> things wrong?   Would someone fire you if you used windows for your
>>> DHCP service and it was a version that had AD running as a DNS service
>>> too?
>>
>> Ok, you *have* confused me with the OP. We run almost *no* Windows here,
>> at least on the servers or workstations we support in this division.
>> They do actual science here, and Windows...rotfl! running scientific
>> compute clusters? To do what, figure out the first 100 decimal places of
>> pi in a month?
>
> So nobody ever needs a name/ip mapping to the nodes anyway?

We do map. We even have a master hosts file for the division. But DNS is
not our purview.

>> And running another DHCP server on the network is *not* a Good Thing,
>> and I feel as though we'd get a lot of grief if we did. Rules and
>> regulations, forget "corporate" rules.
>
> I thought you said you _were_ running a DHCP server.  And the part

We are. In fact, each cluster head also runs a DHCP server, for all their
nodes.

> that confuses me is why anyone would split the addressing and naming
> authority into something that doesn't match the topology.  That is, if
> you are working together with whoever runs the DNS I'd expect the
> name/IP mapping to be coordinated, probably with a central DHCP as
> well, or if your network management is delegated to you, then you'd do
> both independently.   But if you are running something unusual that
> doesn't care about names or DNS then it doesn't matter...

We have a subnet that we control. We do the IPs. We give names, then
register them with the group that does the whole campus, and they update
the DNS.

        mark