[CentOS] 6.1 .iso size?

david david at daku.org
Sat Dec 3 20:40:40 UTC 2011

At 12:32 PM 12/3/2011, you wrote:
>Have you thought about installing it from the network? Just burn a
>net install.iso, boot off from there, and at the network install
>prompt, enter path one of the mirrors.
>
>After that, you are set.
>
>On Dec 3, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Beartooth wrote:
>

> >       I haven't managed to get hold of any DVD-R media, and the machine
> > I particularly want to install on seems not to be able to see double-
> > sided (which I do have). (It's not exactly a new PC.)
> >
> >       So I can't get 6.0 onto it in the usual way. But I can wait till
> > 6.1 comes out; it is possible to predict yet whether it will squeeze in
> > under the DVD+R limit?
> >
> > --

With 6.0, I had to use the Net-Install.  Unfortunately, I had to do
it about 5 times because of errors I made, plus problems that existed
between ZFS and Centos.  Each time I did it, I waited the needed
hours for each download.  Fortunately, my ISP doesn't limit by
transfer quantity (unlike ATT and Comcast), so I got it completed.

I might suggest that the packaging struggle to fit into both a DVD+R
and DVD-R, by reducing the number of packages included in the
DVD.  For a starter, it might be possible to save some space (but
only one of you experts might know if it's enough) by separating the
language support and creating two "flavors" -- one with the non-Asian
languages, and one with the Asian languages plus the "primary"
European languages (English, French, German and a few others).

Alternately, by packaging it on two DVDs (the way we used to do it
with multiple CD's).

David