[CentOS] How to preserve iptables when running the GUI tool ?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Dec 5 21:09:23 UTC 2011

Am 05.12.2011 22:00, schrieb Les Mikesell:

> Not sure what the GUI tool does (I'd assume it clears iptables if you
> tell it to disable the firewall...) but 'service iptables save' writes
> a file named iptables in /etc/sysconfig that you should be able to
> back up somewhere.  However, a normal 'service iptables stop'  which
> will happen in a shutdown/reboot, etc. will also overwrite that file.

no it does not

since my first begin with linux i generate iptables-rules with shells-cripts
calling "service iptables save" at the end and stop iptables will NEVER
touch this rules

do not touch any of this gui's, learn to write the rules by yourself
and you are much more flexible and it tokk me not more than two hours
to write my script after swicth to fedora

in the meantime it is in production-use on > 20 servers, manage all this
servers with if-$HOSTNAME bloks and will be used for routing, prot-forwarind,
blocking of unwanted subnets and many other things

the big beenfit is you can star a new machine with copy this script, modife
it at your needs and knowing exactly what happens