[CentOS] 6.1 .iso size?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 23:29:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

>>> It's only when doing multiple things, or doing multithreaded things, that the
>>> Core2Duo pulls away.
>
>> OK, but who just runs a single process?
>
> For the purposes of usability, effectively anyone who spends the day in Firefox.  And there are a lot of people for whom that is the case.

Even there the tcp stack and filesystem operations should be mostly
running on a different core.

>> And 2GB RAM is kind of
>> minimal - I like lots of disk buffer.
>
> What you like is irrelevant to the usefulness of 2GB of RAM to other people.

It is very relevant to the performance they experience.

>> If you don't have things in
>> cache, your 'responsiveness in normal use' is going to be dominated by
>> disk waits.
>
> None of which negates the gist of the message, that a 2.0GHz Pentium M (and even a slower one) is still a usable machine. Nothing more; nothing less.

Nor my experience that a Core 2 Duo will save much human time and also
is able to run virtual machines that the pentium M can't. And  CentOS
5.x is still a usable OS, isn't it?

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com