[CentOS] 6.1 .iso size?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Dec 6 02:37:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 00:58 +0100, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> >> What you like is irrelevant to the usefulness of 2GB of RAM to other people.
>
> Can you two stop your senseless arguing. We all already know none of you
> are going to back down. Just agree that you agree and be done with it.
----
sorry but I don't agree. They are 2 very knowledgeable Linux users that
never resort to personal attacks and clearly there is something to be
learned by reading. Of course the option is there to just delete them if
you are uninterested.
----

> Regular CentOS 6.x is not PAE enabled. There is kernel-ml in ElRepo that
> has non-PAE kernel enabled. It is 2.6.39-4, so it is not supported by
> upstream, but it will run CentOS Desktop version nicely.
----
I gather you have gone into full speculation mode since the only way you
could install it on a computer that doesn't support PAE is to create a
new installer disc (ie anaconda) uses this kernel throughout. Then
there's the issue of installing an OS that depends upon a specific
resource who remains engaged in the process to update. Sounds like a
formula for a lot of frustration whose success will reward a relatively
limited life.
----
> I plan on releasing unofficial CentOS Desktop oriented LiveDVD with all
> the goodies like newest Firefox and ElRepo kernel modules for NIC's and
> wireless, and "upgrade" repository with missing or newer packages of
> Desktop applications in next week or two. I am sure I can produce
> unofficial LiveDVD with non-PAE kernel and so can others.
>
> So CentOS will be unofficially coming to non-PAE CPU's soon I am sure,
> and who knows, it might become official CentOS project is maintainers
> show up.
>
> Thank you for understanding us others on this mailing list.
----
good luck

Craig

believed to be clean.