[CentOS] Booting C 6.0 from C 5.7

Always Learning centos at u61.u22.net
Tue Dec 6 12:42:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 10:05 -0500, Rilindo Foster wrote:
> ............. Which version of grub are you running and from which distro?

Distro = C 5.7

Regrettably the command:

        grub --version

yields:-

        grub (GNU GRUB 0.97)

But this is insufficient information because it does not reveal minor
version numbers.

In a posting from Centos earlier this year, which I found last night but
can't find again, the writer Bob? says that Grub since version 0.97.b.b
in 2009 has been Ext4 aware, but the Grub in Centos 5.x, version
0.97.a.a, is not Ext4 aware.

I re-installed C 6.0 on a Ext3 partition and was able to launch it from
the Grub menu on C 5.7 using

title C6-0 (2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64)
 	rootnoverify (hd0,6)
	chainloader +1

Thank you for your help.

************************ INCIDENTALLY ******************************

On partition 5 on the same disk, I have Ubuntu 11.4 (the latest
version). That partition is formatted as Ext4 as confirmed by GParted
0.4.8 running on C 5.7

Guess what ?

I can launch Ubuntu using the same Grub menu on C 5.7 using:-

title Ubuntu 11.04 (chain) (2.6.38-8)
 	rootnoverify (hd0,4)
	chainloader +1

If the problem is genuinely Grub's, on C 5.7, lack of understanding of
Ext4 on which I installed C 6.0, then why does this ''problem'' not
adversely affect and prevent me using the same Grub memu on C 5.7, and
the same boot commands, starting Ubuntu ????

It suggests, the problem lies with C 6.0 and ***NOT*** with Grub on C
5.7.  My guess is a bug in C 6.0's Grub implementation is failing to
accept anything coming from a Grub 1 (the Grub used on C 5.7)
environment. The pertinent point is, if Ubuntu 11.4 works why not C 6.0 ?

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,