[CentOS] /dev/sda

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Tue Dec 6 18:28:34 UTC 2011

We're just using Linux software RAID for the first time - RAID1, and the
other day, a drive failed. We have a clone machine to play with, so it's
not that critical, but....

I partitioned a replacement drive. On the clone, I marked the RAID
partitions on /dev/sda failed, and remove, and pulled the drive. After
several iterations, I waited a minute or two, until all messages had
stopped, and there was only /dev/sdb*, and then put the new one in... and
it appears as /dev/sdc. I don't want to reboot the box, and after googling
a bit, it looks as though I *might* be able to use udevadm to change
that... but the manpage leaves something to be desired... like a man page.
The one that appears interesting to me is udevadm --test
--action=<string>... and the actual command that would run, but there is
*ZERO* information as to what actions are available, other than the
default of "add".

Clues for the poor, folks?

           mark