[CentOS] /dev/sda

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Dec 6 19:46:24 UTC 2011

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 06, 2011 02:21:09 PM m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Reindl Harald wrote:
>> > the device name is totally uninteresting, the IDs are
>> > mdadm /dev/mdx --add /dev/sdex
>
>> No, it's not uninteresting. I can't be sure that when it reboots, it
>> won't come back as /dev/sda.
>
> The RAIDsets will be assembled by UUID, not by device name.  It doesn't
> matter whether it comes up as /dev/sda or /dev/sdah or whatever, except
> for booting purposes, which you'll need to handle manually by making sure
> all the bootloader sectors (some of which can be outside any partition)
> are properly copied over; just getting the MBR is not enough in some
> cases.
<snip>
Booting purposes is the point: /dev/md0 is /boot. And as the slot's ATA0,
it should come up as sda. You mention getting the bootloader sectors over
- do you mean, after it's rebuilt and active, to then rerun grub-install?
Remember, the drive that's failing is /dev/sda. I also don't see why, if I
replace the original drive in the original slot (I'm doing this on the
clone, whose drive is just fine, thankyouveddymuch), it isn't recognized
as /dev/sda.

Another question, for you, or Johnny - where's the source code for
udevadm? The documentation doesn't, and I was just trying to yum install
the udev-devel so I could look at the source code, and there's no such
package.

        mark