[CentOS] JNLP app problems

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Wed Dec 7 18:53:23 UTC 2011

Vreme: 12/07/2011 07:29 PM, Alan McKay piše:
> Anyone?  Anyone?  Buehler?
>
> Fortunately in one instance I am having the problem on an Oracle/Sun system
> that I have under support, and so I logged a call with them.  They told me
> to ensure I am running  JRE 1.5 or better, and of course I had not been.
>   So I installed JR 1.7 (latest) from their RPMs, and then followed the
> instructions here :
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/manual-plugin-install-linux-136395.html

DO NOT use Java 1.7. They are released with known bug that can wreck
your database or something similar nasty.

Solution should be:

2. In your Firefox browser, go to Edit-> preferences-> Applications, and
in Content Type select the option "use other" for jnlp files
3. In the dialog box, select the "javaws" file location (for me, it was
located in "/usr/java/jre1.6.0_16/bin")

Bellow is additional info and my notes on how to install Java for Firefox.

Here are my notes on installing Java JRE on CentOS:

Java JRE on CentOS 6 i 5

1. yum install jre

2. ## java ##: alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_27/bin/java 20000
  ## javaws (32-bit only) ##: alternatives --install /usr/bin/javaws
javaws /usr/java/jre1.6.0_27/bin/javaws 20000
  ## Java Browser (Mozilla) Plugin 32-bit ##: alternatives --install
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so libjavaplugin.so
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_27/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so 20000
  ## Java Browser (Mozilla) Plugin 64-bit ##: alternatives --install
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so libjavaplugin.so.x86_64
/usr/java/jre1.6.0_27/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so 20000

commands 64-bit:
alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/jre1.6.0_27/bin/java
20000
alternatives --install /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so
libjavaplugin.so.x86_64 /usr/java/jre1.6.0_27/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so 20000

Do not use it blindly, select what you are installing (JRE/javaws, 32/64
bit) and fix the commands accordingly.

Older notes but with JDK:

Java na CentOS-u i Firefox

1. yum install java

2. Now you need to add the Java you have installed to the list of
alternatives for the java executable:
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java
/usr/java/latest/bin/java 2

Note: There is two - (hypen) before install.

Note: Tinker with /usr/java/latest/bin/java if you do not have Java
installed at this location. In other words change it to point to the
location of your installed Java executable from Sun.

3. Now configure alternatives to select the latest Java executable under
/usr/java:
/usr/sbin/alternatives --config java

Check the version of Java to ensure that it is from Sun:
java -version

For example, this is the output I get:

java version "1.6.0_16″
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.2-b01, mixed mode)

Go to /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins:
cd /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
or
cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

4. Create a symbolic link to libnpjp2.so (Firefox plugin for Java):
ln -s /usr/java/latest/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
or
ln -s /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so

Note: The above is applicable for JDK installation. For JRE it is likely
to be:
ln -s /usr/java/latest/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
or
ln -s /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
5. Restart Firefox and type the following in URL field and press Enter:
about:plugins

You should now see a section titled Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.x

You are done installing Java Plugin / Applet support in Firefox on CentOS 5.

ln -s /usr/java/latest/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so  u
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

> And then I restart Firefox and check the installed plugins that it thinks
> it has, and sure enough it has that one running.  But still I go to a JNLP
> app and get only XML, no app.
>
> Anyone?
>>
>> I'm trying to use a 5.3 box to run some JNLP apps, but all I get is a
>> view of XML.
>>
>> I try doing some googling and don't come up with much other than this
>> one thread that says I may need both 32 and 64 bit Java to run JNLP.
>> But it is not clear to me how to do that.

The howto I found:

1. Install an official Java for Linux (from the SUN site, )
2. In your Firefox browser, go to Edit-> preferences-> Applications, and
in Content Type select the option "use other" for jnlp files
3. In the dialog box, select the "javaws" file location (for me, it was
located in "/usr/java/jre1.6.0_16/bin")

4. Wery important to select the "javaws" from official SUN package, and
not from the package with Linux java distribution - it's not works!

First try WITHOUT No 4. and avoid No 1., instead install
"java-1.6.0-openjdk" and in java

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)