[CentOS] UC /etc/cron.d

Rushton Martin JMRUSHTON at qinetiq.com
Thu Dec 8 10:01:10 UTC 2011

>From man 8 cron

       Cron  searches  /var/spool/cron  for  crontab  files which are
named
       after accounts ...  Cron  also
       searches  for /etc/crontab and the files in the directory, which
are
       in a different format (see crontab(5) ).

So cron itself knows about /etc/cron.d and checks it.  No need to have
an
entry in /etc/crontab

Martin Rushton
HPC System Manager, Weapons Technologies
Tel: 01959 514777, Mobile: 07939 219057
email: jmrushton at QinetiQ.com
www.QinetiQ.com