[CentOS] Backup Redux

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 15:43:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is my situation : we have pretty much all Sun hardware with a Sun
> StorageTek SL24 tape unit backing it all up.  OSes are a combination of
> RHEL and CentOS.  The software we are using is EMC
>
>    NetWorker Management Console version 3.5.1.Build.269
>    based on NetWorker version 7.5.1.Build.269
>
> The pickle we are in right now is that this software is Java based, and
> stops working at a very specific release of JRE (1.6.26 or something like
> that).

That sounds like something that can/should be fixed.

> I am familiar with BackupPC and will look at the other recommendations
> above.  I think that Bacula and Amanda are sort of the drop-in replacements
> for what we have now so I'll look at them most closely.   But if I do have
> to carry forward with our own backups I'd ideally like to get out of the
> tape game - never liked tapes.

If you want mostly-online backups with perhaps an occasional tar
archive, it will be hard to beat backuppc because of it's storage
pooling and ability to run over rsync or smb with no remote agents.
For all-tape, I'd probably go with amanda because of its ability
juggle the full/incremental mix automatically to fit the available
tape size.  I haven't used bacula but it looks like it might be good
if you want a mix of online and tape storage and can deal with the
agent installs.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com