[CentOS] Backup Redux

Mikael Fridh frimik at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 01:40:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 12/08/11 11:26 AM, Mikael Fridh wrote:
>> For more redundancy and performance, add more ZFS boxes, do
>> replication between them.
>
> what zfs replication is that?  last I heard, the only supported
> replication was physical block replication of the underlying device(s)
> (avs in solaris cluster, drbd in linux), and the replica couldn't be
> mounted at all, it was purely for standby failover scenarios.

What I mean is merely incremental zfs send -i | zfs receive -F between
two boxes for each new snapshot being created.
You're free to mount the filesystem, but each new receive will roll it
back to the previous snapshot when another incremental comes in (using
zfs receive -F).

It's not filesystem replication per se, but more periodic snapshots +
incremental transfers. For doing multiple copies off backup data, I'd
say it's more than good enough as "replication".

--
Mike