[CentOS] Netinstall wants to use wlan0

Bert Koerperich koer at gmx.net
Fri Dec 9 10:08:36 UTC 2011

On 12/09/2011 09:43 AM, Jeff Gordon wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 11:14:08AM +0100, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Vreme: 12/08/2011 10:38 AM, Jeff Gordon piše:
>>> Hi, John --
>>>
>>> Thanks. :-)  Looks like it'd be Fn + F3 on this one, but I suspect they set
>>> it up to work that way with Windows.  There's no light to be seen anywhere,
>>> and pressing it made no difference to CentoOS netinstall.
>>>
>> Netinstall will not be able to see the change while loaded. You should
>> try changing on/off once, and the boot netinstall again.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ljubomir Ljubojevic
>> (Love is in the Air)
>> PL Computers
>> Serbia, Europe
>>
>> Google is the Mother, Google is the Father, and traceroute is your
>> trusty Spiderman...
>> StarOS, Mikrotik and CentOS/RHEL/Linux consultant
> Thanks. :-) As indicated in previous reply, it does appear NetworkManager
> receives the signal.  HOWEVER, thanks to Tom I'm looking at progress messages
> at both available consoles, and here's what's being said:
>
> INFO   : going to pick interface
> ERROR  : iBFT deosn't couldn't provide valid NIC MAC address
> INFO   : only have one network device: wlan0
>
> ...which, while kind of an obscure message, at least tells me why I've never
> yet seen the DSL connection light come on with CentOS netinstall.  I've done
> _two_ netinstalls of Debian on this machine, using eth0, but CentOS seems
> dissatisfied with it for some reason and won't use it.
>
> That seems to mean I'll have to go back to Debian. (?)

Hi there Jeff,

well I can only tell about the very early times of Linux with kernels
below 1.00, around 20 years ago ... ;) Don't know how this is going to
work with CentOS nowadays, my labor is just building yet. So, back to
the context, there are three ways afaik though bringing CentOS up:
from any device you can see until then, perhaps an USB drive. That might
be the 'easiest' way. In former times this had to be done f.e. for
SCSI-drivers via good old YaST ;) Of course you first have to download
the driver with a running system from a CentOS-mirror.
2) Not using netinstall, but I guess you have no CDDROM built in.
3) Perhaps another solution could be first installing another system
(debian?) and then creating a bootable device with all needed stuff on.
Sorry for the only abstract description, I'm sure some freaks can give
concreter hints.

Cheers, Bert.