[CentOS] Backup Redux

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Fri Dec 9 17:44:27 UTC 2011

--On Thursday, December 08, 2011 01:06:10 PM -0500 Alan McKay
<alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with this, which just came to my attention
>
> http://www.arkeia.com/en/solutions/open-source-solutions

Yes, I've used it (albiet about 8 years back or so), as well as
many other solutions (both commercial and FOSS) over the years.

Being bit by Arkeia (and previously Amanda and others) is why I
started to design my own FOSS solution at the time ... however I
was about 6 months into the design when Bacula first appeared,
written by Kern with whom I had worked on a different project.
(Actually, it was scary ... between my design and what he had,
there was only about one significant difference at the time.)

So I shelved my project and started using bacula, and haven't
looked back.

Use bacula. Drink the coolaid.  Be happy.

BTW, my observation with a lot of the products at the time was
that they *mostly* worked, but when the edge cases caused me
to lose backup history, or made it impossible to back up
certain filesystems, or had other unusual problems, it made
it obvious that something better was needed.  Without naming
names, there was one FOSS product I evaluated that, when I
looked at the source, they weren't doing any decent level of
error checking ... which would explain the SEGVs I was seeing.

Once bitten, twice shy.

I will allow for the possibility that Amanda and Arkeia may have
improved over the years, however Bacula was already a solid
product when they were flakey or had other limitations, and
has just gotten better with time.

Devin