[CentOS] Monitoring services

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Dec 13 15:43:27 UTC 2011

On 12/13/2011 03:28 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> I am just trying out Zabbix and I have to say it sure is easy to set
> up (once you get beyond a few minor quirks).   I'm pretty impressed so
> far with my evaluation.

I've use zabbix quite extensively over the last 2 odd years ( we even
use Zabbix to keep an eye on things inside .centos.org machines ). Its
not bad ( hence why i continue to use it ). But man, I miss being able
to automatically deliver nagios configs out of a central 'fact' system.

the zabbix api is getting there, but not quite there yet ( there is also
zabcon, but that wont let you completely build from scratch a config
base ). Most zabbix people will tell you that the xml import / export
works for host and templates - dont buy that. It *does* work, but since
you cant have host level overrides for specific template items or
triggers or actions without getting into macros for the template ( and
therefore, needing to manage it as a macro for every host that inherits
that template... ) the xml management isnt nearly as nice as being able
to do static configs.

But its easy to get going, its functional, reliable and you can tune it
to almost any sort of a role you might need, proxies are trivial, HA is
trivial. And as long as you stick with established ( or their delivered
implementation patterns ) its almost trivial to deploy and manage.

- KB