[CentOS] hal, gnome.. custom mount options for vfat storage devices

wwp

subscript at free.fr
Sat Dec 17 17:38:01 UTC 2011

Hello there,

w/ my CentOS6 (up-to-date), running GNOME, I'm struggling with HAL and
mount options for my USB storage devices.

According to what I'm reading from:
  http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/hal.html
My old policies in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ are ignored (and this is true!).
Apparently I should edit my custom mount options through gconf-editor
(in /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options) but whatever I
set here or in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor, I see definitely
no effect to mount options.

Roughly, I'm trying to force mount options like storage location, flush
or not, sync or not, shortname=, etc.) to my vfat-formatted USB sticks.

Any hint? Am I looking at wrong configurations?

BTW, should I worry about uhelper=udisks, does it mean that hal is
irrelevant for what I want?

Regards,

--
wwp