[CentOS] Random Proliant Crashes CentOS 6.1

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Sun Dec 18 20:21:52 UTC 2011

On 12/18/2011 2:22 PM, Richard Karhuse wrote:
> If you follow the cited bugzilla's, you'll see that you *must* upgrade
> your HP firmware too (for everything(!!) -- particularly RAID controllers
> and SAS expander, etc.) -->  to the absolute latest release.  [Note: the
> updates on the 9.30 ISO are *not* late enough, btw.]  Then, you need
> the latest version of the kernel that has a work-around in the cciss / hpsa
> driver.
>
> HTH
>
>     -rak-

Thanks. I have already started down the firmware path. This is
irritating! 15 years of solid reliability out of Proliant products and
then suddenly this! :( I'm starting to wonder if the Linux kernel is
just trying to do too many things... geez... (Isn't that what Windows
does?) Maybe there is a need for a server kernel which could be a
simplified version of a desktop or full kernel? Then again, I have no
insight into what led to this... perhaps it was introduced due to the
server side features.

So, by "latest kernel", I suppose that would not be the latest CentOS
6.1 kernel? If not, does anyone know if it is in any kernel provided by
upstream and if it will soon be available under CentOS? For instance 6.2
that seems to be just around the corner?

Upstream seemed to blame it on their upstream, or the kernel. The cases
I found were closed in spite of no good resolution. There has to be a
ton of Proliant stuff out there. Actually, HP seems to have a lot of
holes in providing for RH6 and has only RH5 for many of these firmware
updates. I did successfully run HP RH5 firmware updates on a RH6 box,
but I'm not so happy about taking chances like that.

Or worse.... perhaps we are starting to see a degradation due to
ownership by HP vs. the fine products that Compaq created? I certainly
hope not!

Meanwhile, I guess I'll sit back and wait to see if what I have done is
enough.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502