[CentOS] forcing yum to download but not install

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Mon Dec 19 17:50:40 UTC 2011

Vreme: 12/19/2011 05:39 PM, Alan McKay piše:
> Hey folks,
>
> Is there any way to fake a "yum update" just to get yum to force a download
> of all the files it needs, without actually installing them.
>
> I finally have a RPM cache/proxy working and I just want to populate it.
> The server I want to actually update cannot be updated until tomorrow but
> I'd like to do a fake update just to force the RPMs into my cache so they
> will all be pre-downloaded.
>
> I don't see anyway from the man page to do this.
>
> thanks,
> -Alan

Let me let you on little secret. It seams nobody thought about it.

run "yum update" and wait until it downloads last package. then when it
starts Transaction check just abort it with <Ctrl>+<C>. That will
download all packages you need but will not install them. The next time
you run update it will show them bold.

At this point you can even copy /var/cache/yum to be safe, but it should
keep the packages until yum clean all or finish of yum update.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...