[CentOS] Plymouth "Failed to read image"

夜神 岩男

supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Dec 27 14:32:20 UTC 2011

I'm trying to learn more about Plymouth, but am having trouble finding
sufficient documentation on it.

After a rebuild of Plymouth with a few theme changes, I am getting an
error message on boot "Failed to read image" and then it gives me the
grub screen to boot one of the three kernels installed.

Boot works fine and I actually see the proper splash once I select a
kernel. Changing themes works, etc. The single problem is that weird
message about image read failure.

So my question: Since Plymouth actually is working fine after the 5
second delay, just what image is it that can't be read? Is this a
message about, say, the "background image" for the menu (the screen
background *is* black, actually) or the "ramfs boot image" which
apparently works just fine after a moment?

Perhaps the error message is just confusing me.

If it is just the background image, then what is not valid about the
splash.xpm.gz now? I've reduced it to 14 indexed colors, 640x480
resolution (which I thought were the criteria?).