[CentOS] Is Biarch with 6.x now dead?

Michael Lampe lampe at gcsc.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Dec 28 22:19:54 UTC 2011

Maybe we're talking about different things here. I'm definitely not
talking about how to build a distribution. That's why I'm using your's
on not running my own.

I'm talking about the usefulness of biarch. Not in the sense of building
packages for redistribution, especially not as RPMs. It's just for
building code for one's own purposes.

Take an arbitrary source package and run configure. It may fail even on
CentOS 6.2. So what?

Now, some run of configure fails on x86_64 in 32-bit mode. So what again?

To build a distribution (large, but something of a well defined size!),
you need a build environment, which works for everything in a well
defined way.

I only need an environment, in which I can make concrete things work
easily, and that gives me the basics. For any piece of source code
outside the core distribution, I'm not getting anything else anyway, not
even in 64-bit mode.

People, who write their own code, expect never anything else.

And Biarch gives this to you equally well if you want to compile and run
32-bit programs on 64-bit.

-Michael

PS: This is (of course) not for building RPMs, but the configure scripts
I was interested in so far, work with this in my ~/.tcshrc:

alias linux32 "linux32 $SHELL"
if ( `uname -m` == i686 ) then
     setenv CC "gcc -m32"
     setenv CXX "g++ -m32"
     setenv PKG_CONFIG_PATH /usr/lib/pkgconfig
endif

 > linux32
 > configure

And if you have your own Makefiles, just put in two or three '-m32' and
your set.