[CentOS] Is Biarch with 6.x now dead?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Dec 28 22:54:16 UTC 2011

Am 28.12.2011 23:32, schrieb Michael Lampe:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> you need not to build a distribution to build clean packages
>> in a clean build-envirnonment - this is simply in your own
>> interest over the long and any quick&  dirty solution
>> will eat your time later
>
> Please tell me in detail what ends up quick and dirty, when doing what
> is well established Unix practise since decades. This is nothing else
> than a simplified (but very convenient!) form of crosscompiling.

do what you believe and let us look where you end in 5-6 years
after doing a couple of updates with "./configure && make && make install)

it IS DIRTY because it does NOT remove obsoleted files
and yes i have seen environemnets where as example mysql did not
compile any longer as long all pieces of the old version were not
deleted manually

working on a modern OS beside the apckage-managment is just silly
you have no clear dependencies, you have no migration-path, you
have no clean rollback - you are doing a dirty job working so

but yes, you can, do if you think it is good enough for you
for the majority of advanced users it is not and in a prodessional
environment it is simply unacceptable