[CentOS] Is Biarch with 6.x now dead?

Michael Lampe lampe at gcsc.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Dec 28 23:13:53 UTC 2011

Reindl Harald wrote:

> on  a clean environment $HOME does not contain software
> this is the apple-way having binaries running where your user
> have write-access and from the viewpoints of security and
> modern system-managment worst practice

The three Federal Computing Centers in Germany (Juelich, Stuttgart,
Munich -- with Stuttgart now hosting Germany's largest Supercomputer to
date) all work in this way. How else should they? Most of the codes are
developped by the users themselves, they are updated regularly -- and
they do contain bugs (64-bit bugs, e.g.) ...

Stuttgarts former top class machine is running CentOS 5. I never tried
the 32-bit feature there myself, because my code _is_ 64-bit clean. But
I would have been pissed if ...