[CentOS] NFS options in fstab

Daniel Bird dbird at sgul.ac.uk
Thu Dec 29 14:35:34 UTC 2011

On 29/12/2011 14:25, Daniel Bird wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've a quick question I'm hoping someone can help out on; One of our NFS
> servers has an intermittent hard lock problem under high load. This is a
> CentOS 5.7 box. It's due for replacement sometime next year. However...
>
> The issue is when this box dies the boxes that mount the NFS exports
> have trouble with the mount and some processes time out casing the
> system mounting the file system to become unresponsive also.  Of course
> un-monuting the file system with -l fixes it.
>
> This is an example of our current mount options in fstab
>
> hostname:/share1/ /mountpoint nfs rw,intr,soft,bg 0 0
>
> The question is, what (other) options should we be using to allow the
> mounting server to ignore/fail/timeout the mount, or at least continue
> normal processing, when the NFS server packs up?
Ahhh, I should read the man pages more carefully!!

Just found this

retry=n   The  number of minutes to retry an NFS mount operation in the
foreground or background before giving up.  The default
                value for forground mounts is 2 minutes.  The default
value for background mounts is 10000 minutes, which is  roughly
                one week.

So retry=2 would give the same behavior on background mounts as
foreground mounts I reckon.