[CentOS] what percent of time are there unpatched exploits against default config?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Dec 29 15:00:01 UTC 2011

夜神 岩男 wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 10:21 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

<snip>
>> It is very inconvenient for people who need to login to their servers
>> from random remote locations (ie. people who travel a lot or work in
>> hardware-controlled environment).
>>
>> Besides, it is essentially a question of overkill. If password is not
>> good enough, you could argue that the key is also not good enough ---
>> two keys (or a larger one) would be more secure. Where do you draw the
>> line?
<snip>
> When traveling I log in to my home server and work servers with my
> laptop. Its really a *lot* easier than using a bunch of pasword schemes.
<snip>
Ah, that brings to mind another issue with only passwords:
synchronization. I worked as a subcontractor for a *huge* US co a few
years ago. I've *never* had to write passwords down... but for there, I
had a page of them! Our group's, the corporate test systems, the corporate
*production* systems, and *each* had their own, along with their own
password aging (there was *no* single sign-on), the contracting co's....

       mark