[CentOS] Centos 6.X compatible to ORACLE DB verssion????

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Dec 29 19:15:09 UTC 2011

On 12/29/2011 01:01 PM, John Broome wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 13:57, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>> On 12/29/11 4:30 AM, mcclnx mcc wrote:
>>> Does anyone know CENTOS/Redhat 6.X compatible to ORACLE software (X86 and X86_64) version like 9.X, 10GR2, 11G and 11GR2.
>>
>> 11.2.0.3(I think is latest?) seems to work fine on CentOS 6.1, however
>> RHEL6 (and all versions of CentOS) are completely unsupported by Oracle,
>> so I wouldn't plan on using it for any sort of production where you
>> expect support.  there were some minor ignorable issues in install, like
>> it claimed the system is missing some old packages
>
> So if oracle isn't certified to run on OEL 6, did oracle roll it out
> just for shits and giggles?

No, they rolled it out as a Linux distribution.  Believe it or not,
people do other things besides run Oracle databases on Linux :)

I am sure they will certify their database systems on OEL 6.x in the future.

They can't very well (at least not with a straight face) tell Red Hat
that RHEL6 is not certified while saying that OEL6 is certified can
they?  If they do that for very long, they will be breaching their
support agreements.

If their goal is to move people off RHEL and to OEL (I think it is),
then not certifying the latest version while trying to convert people
seems like the way to go.  Once they have a bunch of converts, then they
certify OEL6 and some short time later RHEL6. They need to wait though,
until they make the kernel better support the Oracle database though,
like they did for OEL5.

In the meantime, they get their super whamidyne kernel for OEL5 in the
press ... the only real thing they promote as different between RHEL5
and OEL5 ... which gives their linux better and quicker Oracle database
support and they try grabbing customers with that difference.