[CentOS] Centos 6.X compatible to ORACLE DB verssion????

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Dec 29 19:31:06 UTC 2011

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 01:19 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> No, they rolled it out as a Linux distribution.  Believe it or not,
>>> people do other things besides run Oracle databases on Linux :)
>>>
>>> I am sure they will certify their database systems on OEL 6.x in the
>>> future.
>>>
>>> They can't very well (at least not with a straight face) tell Red Hat
>>> that RHEL6 is not certified while saying that OEL6 is certified can
>>> they?  If they do that for very long, they will be breaching their
>>> support agreements.
>> <snip>
>> Let me also note that whatever else Oracle is, they're not stupid when
>> it comes to selling, and there are many, many more RHEL installations
>> than there are OUL.
>
> But if you have a license for rhel6, you can also run rhel5 ...
> therefore, they get their supported sales by supporting rhel5, while
> still claiming their kernel is better and trying to drive people to
> their product.
>
> Where is their incentive to support rhel6 until much closer to March 31,
> 2017 (rhel5 EOL Date).

As I said, there are many, many more RHEL installations, and most of them
will want to go to RHEL6 within the coming year. And, of course, some of
those installations are LARGE$$$$$$$ customers of Oracle (for example, I
have personal knowledge that AT&T uses RHEL extensively). When they lean,
Oracle will fall all over themselves, if only to make more money.

       mark