[CentOS] what percent of time are there unpatched exploits against default config?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Dec 31 22:25:06 UTC 2011

On 12/31/11 2:17 PM, Ken godee wrote:
> We've been thinking of using the MaxMind GeoIP Country database with
> Apache mod_geoip API to limit certain countries visiting our websites.
>
> Has anyone used this or have any input on it's usefulness?

the virus/worm folks will just move to open relays that are not
blocked.   I have something like 1/2 the total IP space blocked on this
one forum I host that seems to attract a very large number of bogus
signups, and it hasn't abated the 50-100/day of fake registrations yet.
there's now 1700 subnets and another 1000 specific IPs blocked.   I can
tell they are robotic assisted fake registrations because the 'Bio'
field ('about you, why you want to join this forum') is always filled
with one of 4 specific entries ("LO qUe eS bRaKbEaT", "Me gusta la
guasa", "Loading...", or less often, "Robot").  initially, the vast
majority of these fake registrations came from china, russia.  now they
are coming from everywhere since I have almost all of china and russia
blocked.