[CentOS] RHEL-6 vs. CentOS-5.5

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Feb 3 05:52:57 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, February 02, 2011 08:04:43 pm Les Mikesell wrote:
> I think there are ways that drives can fail that would make them not be detected
> at all - and for an autodetected raid member in a system that has been rebooted,
> not leave much evidence of where it was when it worked.  If your slots are all
> full you may still be able to figure it out but it might be a good idea to save
> a copy of the listing when you know everything is working.

I'll echo this advice.

I guess I'm spoiled to my EMC arrays, which light a yellow LED on the DAE and on the individual drive, as well as telling you which backend bus, which enclosure, and which drive in that enclosure.  And the EMC-custom firmware is paranoid about errors.

But my personal box is a used SuperMicro dual Xeon I got at the depth of the recession in December 2009, and paid a song and half a dance for it.  It had the six bay hotswap SCSI, and I replaced it with the six bay hotswap SATA, put in a used (and cheap) 3Ware 9500S controller, and have a RAID5 of four 250GB drives for the boot and root volumes, and an MD RAID1 pair of 750GB drives for /home.  The Supermicro motherboard didn't have SATA ports, but I got a 64-bit PCI-X dual internal SATA/dual eSATA low-profile board with the low-profile bracket to fit the 2U case.  Total cost <$500.