[CentOS] OT - disk bays

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Feb 3 22:02:32 UTC 2011

On 02/03/11 1:57 PM, Steve Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> Oh, that silliness. What I dislike are the PERC 700s, that will *only*
>> accept Dell drives, not commodity ones.
> My understanding is that Dell has reversed this policy via a firmware
> update after a flood of complaints. I don't have any 700's to check this,
> but I believe they will now accept non-Dell drives. Certainly the Perc 5's
> and 6's do.

the complication being that random off-the-shelf drives probably haven't
been qualified with the raid controller, and have the potential for any
number of nasty side effects.    even simple firmware revision changes
on the same model drive can break things, relating to write barriers and
buffer flushing.

this is especially problematic for SATA drives, where the majority of
them are optimized for desktop single user performance and take all
kinda shortcuts that would adversely affect data reliability in a raid
environment.