[CentOS] LiveCD System recovery - Mounting LVM?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 22:40:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at pomec.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 23:21 -0600, Gregory P.. Ennis wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the response.  Does this mean there is nothing I can do to
>> make this happen.  Is there a way to change the name of "VolGroup00"?
>> If so I have not found it yet.  I see that I can change "LogVol00", but
>> have not figured out how to chanage "VolGroup00".
>
> It is "vgrename" and please use plain test for emails.
>
> John

> John,
>
> Thanks for your note.  I tried to change the name and this is what I get :
>
> [root at SeVi ~]# vgrename /dev/VolGroup00 /dev/SeViGroup00
>  Volume group "VolGroup00" still has active LVs
>  Internal error: Volume Group SeViGroup00 was not unlocked
>  Device '/dev/sda2' has been left open.
>  Device '/dev/sda2' has been left open.
>  Device '/dev/sda2' has been left open.
>
> Sorry, if my previous note was not plain text .... thought that it was.

I keep a spare box around with non-default LVM names, actually using
direct partitions, for precisely this reason. It's particularly
important if for virtualization servers when you've got a stack of
virtual images and their LVM names conflict with that of your host
server.

It's also another reason it's handy to be able to boot with a live CD.

> I am about ready to regen a new os without the use of LVM, my thought is
> that I should be able use that to mount the lvm volumes I am trying to
> recover.  If you or others have any other ideas I would appreciate your
> help.

This is probably your fastest method.