[CentOS] RHEL 6 <-> CentOS 6 ?

Nicolas Ross

rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Mon Feb 7 21:04:56 UTC 2011

Hi !

We are curently deploying an 8 nodes cluster where we have a RHEL 6 license
at great costs (~14 k$/y). It will be our new production environment for
mission-critical services.

Now our aging developpement server (old p4 with 1.5 gig of ram) need to be
updated. We will be installing on hardware as close as possible to the new
production servers, just not in a rack...

For the developement server, I won't be needing the RH support (and price
that goes with it). So I wsish to install it under CentOS. But 6 isn't out
yet. (by the way, when ;-) ?). I do have a spare slot in my rhn that I can
install the new server with.

Will RHEL 6 be as easy to switch to CentOS 6 as were RHEL/CentOS 5 ? That is
install a couple of rpms, yum update and voilà ?

Thanks,