[CentOS] ipsec with ipv4 and ipv6 not working

Steve Clark sclark at netwolves.com
Wed Feb 9 11:47:13 UTC 2011

On 02/08/2011 05:54 PM, Drew wrote:
>> I have posted to the ipsec-devel list and haven't gotten any responses. Also I
>> have spent 2 days googling with
>> no results about the above setup. Is it even possible to tunnel ipv4 packet thru
>> an ipv6 ipsec tunnel?
>>
> AFAIK, No.
>
> IPv4&  IPv6 are different protocols so if you want to move IPv6
> traffic over a IPv4 IPSEC tunnel you need to encapsulate the IPv6
> payload within IPv4 packets. The reverse is also true of IPv4 over
> IPv6.
>
> This is why tunnel brokers like Freenet6&  Teredo exist, you can't
> push IPv6 traffic out across an IPv4 only network without tunneling.

Hi Drew,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I understand they are different.
I want to
tunnel ipv4 in a ipv6 ipsec tunnel. Ipsec-tools lets me configure the
tunnels and
establishes the SAs but packets get dropped on the receiving side. I am
able to
create a 4in6 tunnel that ride inside a strict ipv6 ipsec tunnel so I
have a work around.

I am mainly trying to see if anyone has gotten what I described in my
initial post to work.

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*