[CentOS] High Availability and Storage Cluster

Rajagopal Swaminathan raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 00:04:57 UTC 2011

Greetings,

On 2/9/11, Denis Zaharov <dizaharov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear mailing list members,
>
> There are two servers with CentOS 5.5 installed.
> The servers are working with Zabbix (monitoring system for traffic,
> using a MySQL), wiki and RT (all are using Apache).
> If one server will have became not available then necessary start these
> services on another server with replication of data.
>
> Can I use the Red Hat Cluster Suite for it at CentOS?

Assuming all the application uses Single instance mysql or apache
service, Yes. For multiple instances though, you need to check
further.

You may lose a sessions during the transition, I am not too sure.
Again depends how application handles it. Don't know.

> Also I heard about Heartbeat and DRBD. Maybe it is what I need?

Well, if you want HA filesystem too, then GFS on top CLVM on top of
DRBD makes sense.

But DRBD HA should be simpler for two node.

Adding couple of NIC and bonding them will help further the high availability

However, ir you plan to add more nodes to this cluster, then consider
RHCS as that would supprt 16 nodes IIRC.

And oh, RHCS requires good working fencing -- power or management port
and/or storage. Don't leave home without it!

Regards,

Rajagopal