[CentOS] CentOS 5.5 Java Process Death

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Feb 10 18:58:13 UTC 2011

Martin Hewitt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running CentOS 5.5 Final, Java version "1.6.0_17" OpenJDK Runtime
> Environment (IcedTea6 1.7.5) (rhel-1.16.b17.el5-x86_64) OpenJDK 64-Bit
> Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode) installed via Yum.
>
> We have a java application, packaged as a jar, running on our servers
> which, periodically, crawls RSS feeds and writes the articles to a
> database.
>
> Randomly, and seemingly without cause, these processes will die, not
> through the application exiting, or due to my killing it, but due to
> something that seems to kill without leaving a trace.
<snip>
The hard (but correct) way would be to put try {} catch in the code, and
work your way down. Trying to debug it using a debugger might be real
problematical, if you can't repeatably provoke it. I *suppose* you could
attach strace to it, and dump the o/p into a file (on a filesystem with a
*lot* of disk space)....

        mark