[CentOS] Will Rogers: Kai Schaetzl may be ignorant about kill files (was: how will CentOS handle the perftools 1.7 vs. 1.6 issue?)

Larry Vaden

vaden at texoma.net
Fri Feb 11 15:09:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:

> This wasn't the first instance. This guy has recently started a habit of
> copying mails (that are not his own it seems) that trip him off right to
> this list. That is bad practice. I do not want to get more of this.
>
> Kai

Kai, as you may not already know, Will Rogers said "Everybody is
ignorant, only on different subjects."

e.g., I expressed my ignorance about just how far the binary
compatibility with RedHat extended within the CentOS community and
have learned from the questions posed.  I think it fair to say the
objective of binary compatibility has greater weight with CentOS folks
than completeness and correctness, but that's JMHO and like Dennis
Miller, I could be wrong about that.

As Will's fellow OKie, if you don't already know about kill files,
I'll help Will do posthumously what he might have done if he were
alive today reading this CentOS list, namely refer you to
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_file>.

I am somewhat saddened that Browning's "“Ah, but a man's reach should
exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?” doesn't seem enough to
cause sufficient interest in an auxiliary repo consisting exclusively
of current release intrinsic functions like BIND, DHCP, et al.

Perhaps the most encouraging remark came from Karanbir, namely:

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> [1]: I say that with a pinch of salt though - EL6 is a tad overdue. A
> lot of new projects and services need a codebase newer than whats on
> offer in C5.

kind regards/ldv